Onca Onca takes to the street - Rev2

Today, I managed to complete the assembly process and take Onca Onca out for her maiden voyage.  A Total success!!!

Here is what the assembly looked like:

Tight Fit

All went almost exactly as planned.  I had to get a new battery box bolt that was a .5" shorter.  Aside from that, it was just a matter of putting everything where it belonged, filling the tires with air, and going for a ride.

At about the same time i was walking out the front door, my friend and neighbor Dom arrived, along with my neighbor Mark.  We took turns riding down the street and around the block.  They were ecstatic!!!  I new what to expect, and had far higher expectations, but don't get me wrong, i'm super happy with the results.  Everything was flawless.  No chain issues, no wireless interference, excellent acceleration and deceleration....almost too good.  All my new part, designed by myself, performed perfectly, and that is a really good feeling.

Here is a rundown of my mental notes of improvements for Rev 3:

1:  Tune both accel and decel curves to be a little more forgiving on the early part of the curve.  I may do it via code on the Fios or on the Kelly or both, but right now they kick in with some bite, but are still very usable!

2:  Revise the remote to have a snap-together case with some more rigidity.  It works great, but its on my TODO list.

3:  Find a cooler deck.

4:  Paint (or find an artist to paint) the bottom of the battery/control box.

5:  Better integrate the switch(es).

6:  Update it to use only 1 ON switch, and power the receiver via the main battery pack. (this fell of the table for rev 2 for the sake of importance and time.)

For now, Rev 2 is awesome.  i'll likely put a little effort in to #1 and smooth that out a bit, but i'm not very concerned about the rest.  Spring is almost here.  I'm ready to plan a few longer trips, figure out my real range, and just have fun with it!

Rock on.


Post a Comment